My New Job


After having a virtual graduation from Siena College this past May, I was pretty positive that I would be still unemployed by September, 2020. Although it is a strange time to start a career in teaching, I was able to start a position as a permanent substitute English teacher in a local middle school. A normal day at work starts at 7:30am, when I enter the main office. I receive my assignment for the day and then report to the corresponding classroom. For some people, I could see how this lack of stability and repetition could be anxiety-inducing. However, I consider myself a go-with-the-flow kind of person, so I don’t mind being in a new room with new students each day. Another great aspect of my job is that I get exposed to all different types of classes. Rather than just seeing an average English class, I’ve gotten to see some exciting science lessons, some intriguing history debates, and even work in a special education classroom as a main teacher. Overall, I’m so pleased to be working in a district that has a great sense of community. I hope the rest of my first year is just as fulfilling as the beginning has been!

Pretty-(adj) to a moderately high degree; fairly

strange-(adj) unusual or surprising in a way that is unsettling or hard to understand

normal-(adj) conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

Corresponding-(adj) analogous or equivalent in character, form, or function; comparable

Anxiety-inducing-(adj) to provoke the feeling of angst. 

Great-(adj) of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average.


New-(adj) not existing before; made, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time.

Average- (adj) constituting the result obtained by adding together several quantities and then dividing this total by the number of quantities.

Intriguing-(adj) arousing one's curiosity or interest; fascinating.

Fulfilling- (adj)  making someone satisfied or happy because of fully developing their character or abilities.


Vocabulary exercise: Write five sentences, each one should correctly use one of the vocabulary words listed above.

For example: I find it very intriguing that Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of college, and stil became so successful.


Grammar exercise

The paragraph above contains many examples of adjectives. An adjective is a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it. Write three sentences that include adjectives. Underline the adjective to identify them.


Comments

  1. Interesting entry! I like the meme. You have included all the important parts, but some of your vocabulary definitions are as difficult as the word itself, so think about how you could simplify them: analogous, average, anxiety (angst is a loan word from German)...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Typical Day in My Life

Cheerleading Competitions